We all know the blessed trinity of care packages:
- Hot sauce
- Baby wipes
These are by far the best things to get in a care package. However, times have changed, and combat care packages are not the same as care packages for those just away from home. Maybe you already sent those things? So, here is a list of things you can include to make the best holiday care package ever for your particular loved one.
- Cash- always a nice surprise. Even on deployment this can come in handy.
- Floss picks- no one wants a yuck mouth and these are easy to carry around.
- Camera- polaroid or disposable: so they can create memories that will last a lifetime. This nostalgic gift will make pictures more meaningful and remind them to actually take pictures with their friends. An action many veterans vocalize wishing they did more of.
- Nice shaving kit- Broke PFCs deserve better than disposable razor burn.
- Seasoning- Some Adobo or Za’atar can really improve an MRE or various barracks cuisine.
- A QR Code to a family album or playlist- this is a fun surprise that will help them feel connected while away.
- Stain removal pen- they’ll thank you when an ink stick inevitably bursts in their pocket
- Command hooks, and small battery powered lights- an easy way to allow them to decorate a personal area to help it feel like the holidays.
- An awesome hoodie- chances are they’re cold.
Feel free to add your thoughts to this list on our social media posts. Whatever you intend to include in your holiday care package, make sure to include a handwritten note so your loved one can really savor all the feels.