Members of the House Veterans Affairs Committee are meeting Wednesday, September 23, 2020. Consequently, the Subcommittee on Disability Assistance and Memorial Affairs (DAMA) will meet in an open session to conduct an oversight hearing related to burn pits and toxic exposure. The meeting is at 10am, but meanwhile we need you to call your representative. Furthermore, tell them to cosponsor H.R.8261 / S.4572, the Presumptive Benefits for War Fighters Exposed to Burn Pits and Other Toxins Act of 2020. Leave voicemails tonight, call in the morning, or call afterwards. We need them to know that there are citizens who want this passed! At the bottom of this article is a full list of the Committee members.
Regardless if your representative is on the list or not, still call them!
This meeting deserves to have all eyes on it and furthermore, it carries a lot of weight. In a memorandum DAMA states:"This hearing will examine the status of the presumptive disability decision-making process of the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) as it relates to the latest scientific research on servicemember exposure to hazardous airborne toxins in the Southwest Asia theater of military operations 3 and the associated long-term health effects on veterans."Additionally, it states the key issues discussed will be as follows:
- Is VA proactively working towards presumptive exposure and presumptive medical disability determinations related to toxic exposures in Southwest Asia?
- If so, what is the status of the scientific research and administrative preparations behind these efforts?
- What can VA fix through rulemaking or administrative authority to expedite presumptive exposure and presumptive disability determinations?
- What does VA need from Congress to expedite the determination process?
This is a key step in moving towards healthcare for the Veterans who deserve it. We will also be covering the event in person. However, you can watch the Committee meet on the DAMA website.
- Chairman Mark Takano (CA) 202-225-2305
- Julia Brownley (CA) 202-225-5811
- Kathleen Rice (NY) 202-225-5516
- Conor Lamb (PA) 202-225-2301
- Mike Levin (CA) 202-225-3906
- Anthony Brindisi (NY) 202-225-3665
- Max Rose (NY) 202-225-3371
- Chris Pappas (NH) 202-225-5456
- Elaine Luria (VA) 202-225-4215
- Susie Lee (NV) 202-225-3252
- Joe Cunningham (SC) 202-225-3176
- Gil Cisneros (CA) 202-225-4111
- Collin Peterson (MN) 202-225-2165
- Gregorio Kilili Camacho Sablan (MI) 202-225-2646
- Colin Allred (TX) 202-225-2231
- Lauren Underwood (IL) 202-225-2976
- Dr. Phil Roe (TN) 202-225-6356
- Gus M. Bilirakis (FL) 202-225-5755
- Amata C. Radewagen (American Samoa) 202-225-8577
- Mike Bost (IL) 202-225-5661
- Dr. Neal Dunn (FL) 202-225-5235
- Jack Bergman (MI) 202-225-4735
- Jim Banks (IN) 202-225-4436
- Andy Barr (KY) 202-225-4706
- Dan Meuser (PA) 202-225-6511
- Chip Roy (TX) 202-225-4236
- Greg Steube (FL) 202-225-5792