[video width="1280" height="720" mp4="http://www.americangrit.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Push-Swing-Pull-Side-Plank-Advanced.mp4"][/video]Add some spice to your side planks by including a push, a pull, and a swing! Side planks are already challenging. This version not only helps solidify your core, especially those obliques, it also aids in shoulder joint rotation and scapular stabilization with one tough move.Everyone wants a solid core and plans exercises around achieving a flat, sculpted stomach, however, when we are training, we rarely think about our ligament and tendon health until something goes wrong. It’s important to understand that you must strengthen your ligaments and tendons so they can keep up with your growing muscles and keep your joints healthy. Exercising is a balancing act--much like this exercise.With push swing pull full side planks, you can improve your core strength while also working on shoulder joint rotation which strengthens your ligaments and tendons. Are you up for the challenge?
How To Do The Push Swing Side Plank:
- Set up in the side plank position by lying on your right side with your elbow on the mat. Press the weight of your shoulder down into your elbow. Your wrist will be in front of your elbow with your fist on the floor.
- Stack your feet on top of each other and push your hips up off the floor.
- Tuck your left elbow in toward your ribs.
- Push your left hand forward in a straight line.
- Swing your arm back and then around over your head.
- Then pull your elbow down toward your hips.
- Push your arm back out over your head in a straight line.
- Reverse the swing this time. Swing your arm toward your back and stop when it’s straight out in front of you parallel to your arm that’s on the floor.
- Next pull your arm back into you.
If you aren’t quite strong enough to hold the full side plank for this exercise, you can modify this exercise by stacking your knees on top of one another and then completing the movement. Work your way up to the full side plank.
Sample Exercise Plan:
- Push swing pull full side plank 2 sets of 10 on each side
- Hanging knee tucks (machine or hanging) 3 sets of 12
- Mini windshield wipers 3 sets of 15
- Toes to bar 3 sets of 8-10
- Ab wheel roll out 3 sets of 10
- Oblique ab wheel roll outs 3 sets of 10 to each side